The government is providing additional funding of £150 million per annum to improve provision of physical education (PE) and sport in primary schools. This funding - provided jointly by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport.
This funding is ring-fenced and therefore can only be spent on provision of PE and sport in schools.
Funding for schools will be calculated by reference to the number of primary-aged pupils (between the ages of 5 and 11), as recorded in the annual schools census.
Purpose of Funding
Schools must spend the additional funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this. Possible uses for the funding might include:
- Hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work with primary teachers when teaching PE.
- Supporting and engaging the least active children through new or additional Change4Life clubs.
- Paying for professional development opportunities for teachers in PE and sport.
- Providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE and sport.
- Running sport competitions, or increasing pupils’ participation in the School Games.
- Buying quality assured professional development modules or materials for PE and sport.
- Providing places for pupils on after school sports clubs and holiday clubs.
- Pooling the additional funding with that of other local schools.
From September 2013, schools have been held to account over how they spend their additional, ring-fenced funding.
Schools are required to include details of their provision of PE and sport on their website, alongside details of their broader curriculum, so that parents can compare sports provision between schools, both within and beyond the school day.
A range of after school clubs are offered at Heath Mount Primary School.
We use Sports Premium to fund any costs associated with the above activities.
Please read the information below which gives details of our PE and Sport Premium Grant and how we allocate the funding.
Evidencing the Impact of the Primary PE and Sport Premium 2021-2022
Evidencing the Impact of the Primary PE and Sport Premium 2020-2021
Evidencing the Impact of the Primary PE and Sport Premium 2019-2020
Evidencing the Impact of the Primary PE and Sport Premium 2018-2019
Evidencing the Impact of the Primary PE and Sport Premium 2017-2018